Pages

Friday, December 08, 2006

WOLFMOTHER !!!




The show is tonight! Here in little old Tempe, AZ. I haven't been this excited for a concert since... never! This could be the show that brings the world together. Much like that performance of starring everyone from Michael Jackson, to Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie, and even the lowly, white Kenny Rogers snuck in for a piece of that action.


"People unite for the Wolfies have returned from the canyons of L.A. with a fusion of freaked out jamming, delicate melodies and gallant rock riffage that shall be known collectively as 'Wolfmother'."

That sentence is merely a brief glimpse into the world of WOLFMOTHER. Imagine that verbiage as just the tip of the iceberg... amazingly enough, the music is even cooler than the Aussie band's verbiage. I've been listening to the self-titled album for about 3 months now, and have not heard this type of "gallant rock riffage" since Zeppelin IV. I hate to over-hype things, but this album is going to be an iconic rock album for generations to come. And I daresay my children's children will be playing this one at their high school prom.

This blog is not meant as a musical review page, but Wolfmother deserves some hard-earned attention from me. They've been making such sweet music that the least I can do to repay them is to write a quick page about them.


(you can listen to the entire album on the website above - I highly recommend doing so RIGHT NOW. If you don't, you'll be cursed by either the hammer of Thor or the beard of Zeus)


-Such a glorious name-

I first heard of Wolfmother on Conan O'Brien, and was downloading the album as soon as they reached the chorus of "Mother", their most popular single so far. "Mother" has received a little airplay here in the Phx metro, and it warms my soul to hear it. Mostly because I know it's warming others' souls who are hearing it. Conan, randomly throughout the show, kept saying "Wolfmother" slowly and loudly in a deep, dark rock voice, just because he loved the sound of the name. In fact, I would nominate Wolfmother as having quite possibly the baddest band name in the history of the world. If anyone can think of one that compares, please post a comment.

I hereby nominate Wolfmother as the greatest, baddest band name in the world.


-Who do they think they are?-

So Jack Black has his little Tenacious D band, right?



And they make all these claims that they are the greatest band in the world or have written the greatest song in the world, or some crap like that. Well, what they are trying to do is a very noble thing - they are trying to infuse a lot of different classic rock sounds together into a beautiful, modern combination of these sounds. Much like the Double Decker Taco brought together the two worlds of tacos and burritos into a delightful mix. Tenacious D hasn't even come close to reaching Double Decker Taco status.



But Wolfmother has. That may seem like an absolutely outrageous claim to some of you, but these guys have combined so many classic sounds into such an amazing sound that they have already reached Double Decker Supreme status. Imagine Zeppelin IV raised to the power of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon. Yep, it's that good.

Wolfmother IS the band that Tenacious D continues to talk about becoming.


-The Wolfmother Effect-

Since tonight is the show, I've listened to the album about 20x in the last day or so. Pretty standard protocol, right? Well never in my pre-concert preparation experiences before have I felt the influence of the music begin to take over my life like I have in the last 24 hours. Not only my life, but the life of everything around me has been elevated due to the increased Wolfmother effect in my life.

Piece of evidence #1 - The Phx Suns / NJ Nets game last night. Every good player played well above average in the game, on both sides of the ball. The final score ended up 161-157 for Phx. This was the 4th highest scoring game in the history of the universe. Even Steve Nash played better than usual in one of the most amazing games in history last night. Most thought that as the two-time-reigning MVP that his level of play couldn't get much better. Wrong. He put on one of the most dazzling performances EVER (and all this without his long hair...). I only need one word to explain the amazing performances - Wolfmother.

Piece of evidence #2 - I went fake-baking for the first time ever today. (I can hear the gasps...). To those of you who know me, you also know how much I have detested fake-baking over the entire course of my life. Ever since my first word was "radiation", I've been on an anti-fake-baking tear. So for me to climb into that little microwave pod like last night's dinner and flip the switch to 'on' for 8 minutes ... let's just say it was monumental. Not that I need too much help... living in AZ gives me plenty of time to keep up a good tan, and I usually do fairly well in that deparment. Honestly I have no idea why I did it. I just had this crazy, illogical, unexplainable desire jump into my brain this morning and I couldn't stop it from taking over my actions. The more I kept listening to Wolfmother, the stronger the desire became. And there is no other explanation than the power of Wolfmother.

Each song on the album has the same effect as drinking 4 Red Bulls.

You will not regret letting Wolfmother into your life. I'd recommend letting them take your life over completely.

7 comments:

Marc said...

Wolfmother... the Black Sabbath of our generation?

Anonymous said...

First Kasabian and now Wolfmother...my head is literally spinning. This post was a nice break from studying passive loss limitations.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little concerned that you went as far as to fake-bake. what's next, acrylic nails?

I think you've created a believer out of me though. Wolfmother? A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I particularly love Dimesenion if I must say so myself. Groupies anyone?

-f

smootheP said...

marc - i sure hope so. their concert was absolutely as sweet as milk and honey. remember the Zeppelin show at MSG? yep. along those lines, IMO. only difference is Wolfmother doesn't yet have as much material to pound out as LZ did. we'll see how their next album is... details forthcoming.

d a k - glad i could help your grades suffer...

f - fake-baking actually wasn't too bad, except that i can barely sit down ... i think i'm headed back for more tomorrow ;)

Dimension is just luscious, isn't it? Reminds me of Rock n Roll from LZ IV in that I can listen to that single song 100 times in a row and not get tired of it. I'll join you in the quest for groupies. Let me know when and where..

Anonymous said...

I hear a lot of Led Zeppelin in them but probably more of the Who.

So how was the show?

Now you're starting to ruin my wills and trusts grade. Thanks a lot.

smootheP said...

Ok, so I think I may have found another band name is nearly as tough as Wolfmother. They're called:

And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead

The music is ok for indie stuff, but doesn't compare head-to-head w/ Wolfmother.

One more thing, after the concert last Friday, my bro who went with me has started using Wolfmother as a verb. As in:

"I'm gonna wolf this mother up" or (referring to the bratwurst I was about to eat before the show) "you better hurry and wolf that mother down".

Have I mentioned yet how much I like Wolfmother?

Anonymous said...

Your brother sounds like someone worth meeting. haha i love that he is using wolf mother as a verb. more people need to get on the bandwagon.

-flava flav